Morning All! Hope you are well, just dropping by with Online Finds for you this morning. A bit of this and a bit of that… Enjoy 🙂
Morning 🙂 How are we all today? I’m…. okay.
Not really in the mood for super long chats today, so lets jump straight in to the interesting bits and pieces I’ve come across online lately…
Hi All, How’s things? I’m not too bad at the moment. Yesterday was a pretty good day health-wise and so far today is going well too, so minimal complaints from me 🙂
As we eagerly anticipate this coming long weekend, I thought I’d share a few online finds I’ve come across lately to keep your mind off the count-down till Friday afternoon lol 🙂
Hi All, how are you going? Is it strange that I often start my posts like that? I think it is a little, but it also feels a little strange just jumping straight into talking… who knows whats right nowadays… annnnyway… I’ve been okay, having okay days and not so okay days with the auto-immune/IBD… yesterday wasn’t great and today is a not so good a day either, but it’s better than others… one positive is that I had planned an annual leave day today to work on some assignments so I knew I didn’t have to go in to work today, or work from home – much less stressful, and I’ve still been able to knock off a bit of study work. It’s all just a bit of a lets-see-how-it-goes at the moment…
I thought for today I’d do another round up of what I’ve been reading and checking out online lately…
Hi All 🙂 Just a quick little check in before today’s post… you’ll notice it’s been over a week since my last post and that’s because I’ve been sick – again! It’s a bit of a repetitive thing nowadays but I’m off to see a specialist next week so hopefully it all gets sorted out soon, anyway, just wanted to let you all know I’m still here and I haven’t forgotten about the blog 🙂 So here’s what I’ve been up to with my study lately…
Yay I got to read a section in my textbook that I hadn’t read before! Lol 🙂 It’s a bit sad when that makes me happy haha.
It was a pretty interesting section too, it was all about setting up some business documents and how to get paid for the design work you do when you have your own business and/or are working as a free-lancer. Interesting stuff, especially considering that this is more than likely what I’ll end up doing.
Here are some notes from this section of Graphic Design: Australian Style Guide…
- “Before you get paid you need to work out how much to charge. This is determined by your experience, what other designers are getting and the prevailing economic conditions. It should increase over time, but may need to dip now and then.” (Barnum et al, p326)
- “The base rate is the rate for actual design work (conceptualisation or layout). It is used to calculate the charge-out rate and need not be disclosed to the client.” (Barnum et al, p326)
- “The charge-out rate is (the) rate that includes designing, overheads, profit, etc. It is 3 1/2 times the base rate and is used to calculate the cost of design to the client.” (Barnum et al, p326)
- “Contracts are legally binding for both parties. If a designer promises to have something completed by a certain date, in a certain form, and then does not fulfil that agreement, they could be breaking a contract and therefore be liable for damages.” (Barnum et al, p326)
- “The three main documents that form the basis of the contract between client and designer are the initial proposal, the quote an d the invoice.” (Barnum et al, p327)
- “Under Australia law, any piece of written communication that involves money and/or contractual arrangement must display an Australian Business Number (ABN).” (Barnum et al, p327)
- “Terms and Conditions of Trade (T&Cs) are the conditions under which a designer trades, including payment terms and any confidentiality, copyright or contract issues.” (Barnum et al, p328)
Barnum, A., Haddock, S., Hicks, S. and Oppen, F. (2012) Graphic Design: Australian Style Guide. Sydney: McGraw-Hill Publishers Australia
Gooooood Morning! How are you on this Monday morning? It’s a bit cold here, but I’m all rugged up and drinking a cup of tea, so I’m warming up!
How was your weekend? Mine was pretty good. There was nothing too huge happening but I got a lot of study done, did some work in the garden, went out for dinner and finally got around to watching Pitch Perfect 2 🙂 I even had some time to do a bit of drawing.
To kick off this week I have another collection of interesting bits and pieces to share…
Have a great day!
Oh look, two Online Finds posts in a row… I promise this isn’t going to be a trend, but I felt the need to create a post today and due to ‘life’, this is about the extent of what I can put together.
I finally have the internet on at home – yay! Which is where I am right now, at 11am on a Tuesday, because I’m off work sick, again/still – definitely not yay! I’ve been taken down by a virus which makes sleeping/moving/breathing/life in general just a little difficult at the moment. Right now, I’m feeling a little better than last night, so fingers-crossed I shake this soon.
This last week though I did manage to order myself a new phone – super yay! It’s been really interesting/crap realising how much I relied on my phone as a camera, and also realising exactly how many photos I actually took. I’ve been feeling a little lost not being able to just take happy snaps whenever I felt like it, hopefully though it arrives soon and I’ll be right back at it 🙂
In other news, I’m about 85% settled into my new home. All my furniture and boxes have been sorted, there’s just pictures to put up, rugs to buy and fiddly little bits and pieces now to do, new door handles, light fittings, things like that… oh and the complete renovation of the kitchen – but I’m not tackling that for a fair few months yet!
Anyway, I hope you enjoy some of the links I have for you today 🙂
Being Boss – A Day in the Life of a Creative Online Entrepreneur – I really like the ‘busy Saturday’ idea…